Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 320 Vote(s) - 3.53 Average
Add conditional constraint check

I'm using PostgreSQL 9.2 and need to add a conditional constraint on a column. Essentially, I want to make sure that a column is false when two other columns have a certain value.

Table definition:

~~~pgsql
gid | int_unsigned | not null default 0
realm | character varying(255) | not null default ''::character varying
grant_update | smallint_unsigned | not null default (0)::smallint
grant_delete | smallint_unsigned | not null default (0)::smallint
~~~

Example:

~~~pgsql
alter table node_access add constraint block_anonymous_page_edit
check (grant_update = 0 WHERE (gid = 1 AND realm = 'nodeaccess_rid'));
~~~

This is *supposed* to make sure that **`grant_update` is equal to 0 when `gid` is 1 and `realm = nodeaccess_rid`**.

However, I think rather than doing what I want, it's actually trying to make all columns mimic these values. In essence, it's trying to make sure that `grant_update` is always 0, `gid` is always 1, and `realm` is always `nodeaccess_rid`. The error I get is:

> ERROR: check constraint "block_anonymous_page_edit" is violated by some row

Maybe a function that gets triggered on update?

I would write this as a trigger. This gives you the flexibility of either raising an error (potentially with a custom code that can best tested for) or just handling the problem and setting grant_update = 0 when gid=1 and realm = 'nodeaccess_rid'

I ended up going with the trigger function. This will check the role and set the unwanted functionality to off with the boolean-ish fields grant_update and grant_delete. The function below also preserves the grant_view value rather than overwriting it.

CREATE OR REPLACE function block_anonymous_page_edit()
RETURNS trigger AS $function$
BEGIN
IF NEW.gid = 1 AND NEW.realm != 'nodeaccess_author' AND (NEW.grant_update = 1 OR NEW.grant_delete = 1) THEN
RAISE WARNING 'Anonymous users are not allowed to edit pages.';
NEW.grant_update := 0;
NEW.grant_delete := 0;
END IF;
RETURN NEW;
END;
$function$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

CREATE TRIGGER tgr_block_anonymous_page_edit BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE ON node_access FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE block_anonymous_page_edit();

Once you wrap your mind around the logic, it's simple [**`CHECK` constraint**][1]:

```pgsql
CREATE TABLE tbl (
gid int NOT NULL DEFAULT 0
, realm text NOT NULL DEFAULT ''
, grant_update smallint NOT NULL DEFAULT 0
, CONSTRAINT block_anonymous_page_edit
CHECK (gid <> 1 OR realm <> 'nodeaccess_rid' OR grant_update = 0)
);
```
Test:

```pgsql
-- these work:
INSERT INTO tbl(gid, realm, grant_update)
VALUES (1, 'nodeaccess_rid', 0);

VALUES (1, 'some_string', 1);

VALUES (2, 'nodeaccess_rid', 1);

-- check violation!
VALUES (1, 'nodeaccess_rid', 1);
```

*db<>fiddle [here](

[To see links please register here]

)*

[1]:

[To see links please register here]