Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 473 Vote(s) - 3.52 Average
@Autowired vs @PersistenceContext for EntityManager bean

What is the difference between:

@Autowired
private EntityManager em;

versus:

@PersistenceContext
private EntityManager em;

Both options work in my application, but can I break something by using the `@Autowired` annotation?

`@PersistenceContext` is a [JPA][1] standard annotation designed for that specific purpose. Whereas `@Autowired` is used for any dependency injection in Spring. Using `@PersistenceContext` gives you greater control over your context as it provides you with ability to specify optional elements e.g. name, properties

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

`@PersistenceContext` allows you to specify which persistence unit you want to use. Your project might have multiple data sources connected to different DBs and `@PersistenceContext` allows you to say which one you want to operate on

check the explanation here:

**@PersistenceContext**:

**does not** return entity manager instance

**it returns** container-managed proxy that acquires and releases presistence context on behalf of the application code

You shouldn't use `@Autowired`.
`@PersistenceContext` takes care to create a unique EntityManager for every thread. In a production application you can have multiple clients calling your application in the same time. For each call, the application creates a thread. Each thread should use its own EntityManager. Imagine what would happen if they share the same EntityManager: different users would access the same entities.

usually the EntityManager or Session are bound to the thread (implemented as a ThreadLocal variable).

Source:

EntityManager instances are not thread-safe.
Source:

Please notice that `@PersistenceContext` annotation comes from `javax.persistence` package, not from spring framework. In JavaEE it is used by the JavaEE container (aka the application server) to inject the EntityManager. Spring borrowed the PersistenceContext annotation to do the same: to inject an **application-managed** (= not container-managed) EntityManager bean per thread, exactly as the JavaEE container does.

You can create the following `FactoryBean` to make `EntityManager` properly injectable, even via constructor injection:

/**
* Makes the {@link EntityManager} injectable via <i>@Autowired</i>,
* so it can be injected with constructor injection too.
* (<i>@PersistenceContext</i> cannot be used for constructor injection.)
*/
public static class EntityManagerInjectionFactory extends AbstractFactoryBean<EntityManager> {

@PersistenceContext
private EntityManager entityManager;

@Override
public Class<?> getObjectType() {
return EntityManager.class;
}

@Override
protected EntityManager createInstance() {
return entityManager;
}

}

Please note, that because we use the `@PersistenceContext` annotation internally, the returned `EntityManager` will be a proper thread-safe proxy, as it would have been injected directly at the place of usage with field injection (using `@PersistenceContext`).

I think @Autowire will work same way as @PersistenceContext

[

][1]

> When working with multiple EntityManager instances and custom
> repository implementations, you need to wire the correct EntityManager
> into the repository implementation class. You can do so by explicitly
> naming the EntityManager in the @PersistenceContext annotation or, if
> the EntityManager is @Autowired, by using @Qualifier.
>
> As of Spring Data JPA 1.9, Spring Data JPA includes a class called
> JpaContext that lets you obtain the EntityManager by managed domain
> class, assuming it is managed by only one of the EntityManager
> instances in the application. The following example shows how to use
> JpaContext in a custom repository:

[1]: