Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 1049 Vote(s) - 3.52 Average
C# vs. C++ in a cross-platform project

Are you set on only having a single set of UI code on all platforms? I would encourage you to consider two separate UIs with a common core, there's really no substitute for a native UI.

In this case, you could go Winforms/WPF in C# for the Windows UI, Cocoa in ObjC for the OS X UI, GTK in C# for the Linux UI. All of these would use a common C# core capable of running on Mono and .NET. Mono makes it relatively painless to use with ObjC.

Jen, I'm worried about the wording of your question.

"My team is planning to develop an application that is initially targeted for Windows but will eventually be deployed cross-platform (Mac, Linux and potentially embedded devices)."

Is the plan to do cross-platform or not? I can infer that code will be initially written for Windows and then, maybe sometime later, effort will be expended in modifying the project for cross-platform capability. This will not be good for your health or your team's health! A definite business decision needs to be made here. One of the golden rules of cross-platform development is to treat all targeted platforms with absolute equality.

Can you use C# for embedded environments? Has it already been done commercially? Just curious.

"We’re projecting that by using C#, we can develop our product faster and at a lower cost due to the increase of productivity over C++"
What do you mean 'projecting'? On what facts and figures are you making this projection? Do not forget that the coding effort on some projects is low as ~20% of the total effort required to bring a product to market. So the question of productivity comparison of computer languages may be not that significant. In my experience it's not productive to choose a computer language on the so-called productivity criteria.

"we’re taking a gamble" I agree with that, and gambling seems to contradict the meaning of planning. The question is: what are the risks?

Have you considered internationalisation?

Yes, I'm being critical but someone who is paying the money for this project may well be more questioning.

Book:
Cross-Platform Development in C++: Building MAC OS X, Linux, and Windows Applications by Syd Logan - ISBN 032124642X
Gives an idea of the issues involved.

I've been on a cross-platform and internationalised projects for Windows, Mac, and Linux using C++/Qt. The latter does well for both issues. One dis-like I have of Qt is it is not modern C++ in idiom nor does it encourage the use of modern C++ idioms. Just like MFC.

did you consider using python/c++/QT ?

just look at it

Just to add with this discussion. I have developed a software with c++.
I am the only developer and its 80% finish.

Now I am finding it hard to get c++ programmer and also any experience php programmer.
Geting lot of c# programmer.

I know c# as well. It may take one month two convert c++ to c# (leaving some features that i feel too much to maintain).

my dislike is .net size. I looked at mono as well. Personally it is not a problem for me as i am very good in c++. But geting programmer who can do bit complex project with PHP is become hard. They are just basic web developer( the place i am looking for programer and my budget).

Personally i like c++ and love small executable size. My pririty is to sell online. On the other hand it is a server program so need one instance in a LAN.

I have to make a decision by month time as i have to start finishing this project.

You may have a look of my project type on ashnah dot com

If you are comitted to a multi-platform approach, I think it depends on how UI-heavy your application is. If the meat of the application is in the back end, a possibility not mentioned is to go for a blend of C++ and C++/CLI. C++/CLI gives you access to the vast .NET BCL (including UI components) so you can get to market quickly on Windows, and you can stick to vanilla C++ where this isn't needed. Then to port to another platform you only need to target the C++/CLI parts.

On the other hand, you want to seriously question the "eventually" part of the plan to migrate to other platforms. Concentrating exclusively on Windows and using .NET with C# or VB.NET gives you an easier development route in terms of the programmer competence you'll require.

Why not use multiple languages. Use C++ for the underlying framework which will be the core ( most work needed ) of your application and platform independent. Then you can create the UI in C# for your Windows version, and if later on you decide to port to Mac or something else, you can write it in Java or Qt or whatever language/API you decide to use. I think it's ok if the UI is platform dependent as long as the core of your application is not.

It would be better to decide right away whether or not your application will be cross-platform, but if you can't then I think a platform dependent UI with a platform-independent framework/infrastructure is a good way to go.

If you want to go cross-platform, C++ is definitely the way to go.

Edit:
I am one to think you should choose your language according to your project, and not prefer a language because you are simply used to it. Although C# may offer cross-platform support, it was originaly designed to run only on Windows.

Mark Maslar has a good point too, depending on the application you want to develop, a web-based application would be completely platform independent.

I'm developing for years cross-plateform softwares with C++/Qt.
I strongly recommend this solution for your development.
Such a solution brings you performance on **ALL** platforms !
Moreover, Qt isn't only a GUI framework, but brings you a complete framework for networking, DB, I/O, great support, and a very ingenious system of internationalization !
Finally, Qt provides native looking on all platforms it supports.

And about performance, is Mono / C# equivalent to C++/Qt ?

It sounds like you're trying to build cross-platform fat client apps with C variants. **You should totally drop that and use jQuery.**

No, seriously, [html5 features can deal with your intermittent connectivity](

[To see links please register here]

), and you get [*good* UI support](

) not only on Win/Mac/Linux but on [mobile platforms](

) and everything.

C'mon, get with the 90s! It's not that hard or bad and you get to be all smug when people say "cloud".