Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 160 Vote(s) - 3.36 Average
Can't install RMagick 2.13.1. Can't find MagickWand.h.

When I try do install rmagick I get the following error message:

Can't install RMagick 2.13.1. Can't find MagickWand.h.
*** extconf.rb failed ***
Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

I'm on Mac OSX 10.6.8, ruby 1.9.2p290, rvm 1.10.2.

Can anyone help me please to solve this problem.

fix this setting the include path of your current imagemagick installation:

Install ImageMagick with brew

brew install imagemagick

find library

$ mdfind MagickWand.h
/usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.7.5-7/include/ImageMagick/wand/MagickWand.h

Install rmagick gem

$ C_INCLUDE_PATH=/path/MagickWand.h gem install rmagick

example:

$ C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.7.5-7/include/ImageMagick/ gem install rmagick

C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.7.7-6/include/ImageMagick gem install rmagick

I was really struggling with this on OS X Mountain Lion (after upgrading from Lion) and none of the suggestions regarding C_INCLUDE_PATH, PKG_CONFIG_PATH, ln'ing various files, etc., were working. On the same day I upgraded to Mountain Lion, I also upgraded XCode to 4.5.2, but I didn't really think too much of this.

Eventually I stopped trying to install RMagick and had to pass on the work to a colleague.

Then, by chance, I found that I was trying to use bundle install on another project and I wasn't able to install the json gem because "make" could not be found. I checked into that and found you need to go to XCode -> Preferences -> Downloads and install the command line tools to get make working again. The json gem installed fine.

Then I paused...and tried

gem install rmagick

One more time. It worked perfectly.

For my own and others edification, I got past the error about the magicwand.h by using the suggestion xonico. MDFind plus the C_INCLUDE_PATH. However, it then gave me an error about MagickCore.pc. My final command to get this working had to include both like so:

C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.7.7-6/include/ImageMagick/ PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.7.7-6/lib/pkgconfig/ gem install rmagick

Obviously your paths will vary depending on whether you're using brew like me and what version of imagemagick you were installing. Also, xcode command line tools did have to be installed, as others have mentioned.

Thanks for everyone's posts on this! I am plussing your answers since it contributed to mine!

I didn't want to mess with environment variables since I wanted bundler to be able to compile this gem on its own on a CI machine. Instead, I used Homebrew to install pkg-config:

```brew install pkgconfig ```

and the next time I tried compiling the RMagick gem it found the header file without issue.

(This is pkg-config 0.28, ImageMagick 6.8.0-10, and RMagick 2.13.2, all on Mountain Lion.)

I had a hard time getting this same issue to work when I had a default ImageMagick install on OSX 10.8 (no homebrew or macports). No combination of the suggestions in this thread or threads linked to from this thread worked for me (modifying the paths for my local install of course).

I simply deleted the default ImageMagick 6 install, and then reinstalled with macports. My rmagick install worked immediately after with no other changes.

I marked this as a favorite because it seems to come back to bite me with every new system I need to install RMagick on (and time has passed and version numbers have rolled).

Mac OS X 10.8.4

rvm 1.22.3

ruby-2.0.0-p247

Xcode 4.6.3 developer tools installed

$ brew install imagemagick
==> /usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.8.6-3

$ brew install pkgconfig
==> /usr/local/Cellar/pkg-config/0.28

$ C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.8.6-3/include/ImageMagick-6 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.8.6-3/lib/pkgconfig/ gem install rmagick
Successfully installed rmagick-2.13.2

Many thanks to everyone who added helpful answers above!

**Helped me on Debian Wheezy 64bit**

apt-get install libmagickcore-dev libmagickwand-dev

on OSX Maverick 10.9.1
it took me ages to figure it out but I solved these issues the following way:

nano /etc/paths
changed:

/usr/bin
/bin
/usr/sbin
/sbin
/usr/local/bin
into:

/usr/local/bin
/usr/bin
/bin
/usr/sbin
/sbin

that that local stuff, like 'brew' is loaded first.

now I hit 'brew doctor' into the terminal, to see if there's something messed up

if you get the following output
Your system is ready to brew.
everthing is fine. if not ti will tell you what to do. Like kick out unbrewed stuff, broken libs, clean symlinks and whatnot.

When you are ready to brew, you need ghostscript(for pdfs), libpng, imagemagick via brew.

then you can happily type : 'gem install rmagick', in case you did't kill your ruby setup. But thats easy to reinstall via your cleaned up brew.

PS:
another helpful command is: 'which convert', to show you what version of imagemagick is used by the system.

as well as --version

so if you installed git via brew and do 'git --version' and it returns some apple git version, your load path is broken...