Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 788 Vote(s) - 3.58 Average
Database development mistakes made by application developers

Here is a link to video called ‘[Classic Database Development Mistakes and five ways to overcome them][1]’ by Scott Walz

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

Using Access instead of a "real" database. There are plenty of great small and even free databases like [SQL Express][1], [MySQL][2], and [SQLite][3] that will work and scale much better. Apps often need to scale in unexpected ways.

[1]:

[2]:

[3]:

- Dismissing an ORM like Hibernate out of hand, for reasons like "it's too magical" or "not on **my** database".
- Relying too heavily on an ORM like Hibernate and trying to shoehorn it in where it isn't appropriate.

This has been said before, but: **indexes, indexes, indexes**. I've seen so many cases of poorly performing enterprise web apps that were fixed by simply doing a little profiling (to see which tables were being hit a lot), and then adding an index on those tables. This doesn't even require much in the way of SQL writing knowledge, and the payoff is huge.

Avoid data duplication like the plague. Some people advocate that a little duplication won't hurt, and will improve performance. Hey, I'm not saying that you have to torture your schema into Third Normal Form, until it's so abstract that not even the DBA's know what's going on. Just understand that whenever you duplicate a set of names, or zipcodes, or shipping codes, the copies WILL fall out of synch with each other eventually. It WILL happen. And then you'll be kicking yourself as you run the weekly maintenance script.

And lastly: use a clear, consistent, intuitive naming convention. In the same way that a well written piece of code should be readable, a good SQL schema or query should be readable and practically *tell* you what it's doing, even without comments. You'll thank yourself in six months, when you have to to maintenance on the tables. `"SELECT account_number, billing_date FROM national_accounts"` is infinitely easier to work with than "SELECT ACCNTNBR, BILLDAT FROM NTNLACCTS".

Not executing a corresponding SELECT query before running the DELETE query (particularly on production databases)!

Using Excel for storing (huge amounts of) data.

I have seen companies holding thousands of rows and using multiple worksheets (due to the row limit of 65535 on previous versions of Excel).

----------

Excel is well suited for reports, data presentation and other tasks, but should not be treated as a database.

* Very large transactions, inserting/updating a lot of data and then reloading it. Basically this is down to not considering the multi-user environment the database works in.

* Overuse of functions, specifically as results in selects and in where clauses which causes the function to be called over and over again for the results. This, I think, fits under the general case of them trying to work in the procedural fashion they're more used to rather than use SQL to its full advantage.

**Key database design and programming mistakes made by developers**

- **Selfish database design and usage.** Developers often treat the database as their personal persistent object store without considering the needs of other stakeholders in the data. This also applies to application architects. Poor database design and data integrity makes it hard for third parties working with the data and can substantially increase the system's life cycle costs. Reporting and MIS tends to be a poor cousin in application design and only done as an afterthought.

- **Abusing denormalised data.** Overdoing denormalised data and trying to maintain it within the application is a recipe for data integrity issues. Use denormalisation sparingly. Not wanting to add a join to a query is not an excuse for denormalising.

- **Scared of writing SQL.** SQL isn't rocket science and is actually quite good at doing its job. O/R mapping layers are quite good at doing the 95% of queries that are simple and fit well into that model. Sometimes SQL is the best way to do the job.

- **Dogmatic 'No Stored Procedures' policies.** Regardless of whether you believe stored procedures are evil, this sort of dogmatic attitude has no place on a software project.

- **Not understanding database design.** Normalisation is your friend and it's [not rocket science.][1] Joining and cardinality are fairly simple concepts - if you're involved in database application development there's really no excuse for not understanding them.

[1]:

Over-use and/or dependence on stored procedures.

Some application developers see stored procedures as a direct extension of middle tier/front end code. This appears to be a common trait in Microsoft stack developers, (I'm one, but I've grown out of it) and produces many stored procedures that perform complex business logic and workflow processing. This is much better done elsewhere.

Stored procedures are useful where it has actuallly been proven that some real technical factor necessitates their use (for example, performance and security) For example, keeping aggregation/filtering of large data sets "close to the data".

I recently had to help maintain and enhance a large Delphi desktop application of which 70% of the business logic and rules were implemented in 1400 SQL Server stored procedures (the remainder in UI event handlers). This was a nightmare, primarily due to the difficuly of introducing effective unit testing to TSQL, lack of encapsulation and poor tools (Debuggers, editors).

Working with a Java team in the past I quickly found out that often the complete opposite holds in that environment. A Java Architect once told me: "The database is for data, not code.".

These days I think it's a mistake to not consider stored procs at all, but they should be used sparingly (not by default) in situations where they provide useful benefits (see the other answers).

I'd like to add:
Favoring "Elegant" code over highly performing code. The code that works best against databases is often ugly to the application developer's eye.

Believing that nonsense about premature optimization. Databases must consider performance in the original design and in any subsequent development. Performance is 50% of database design (40% is data integrity and the last 10% is security) in my opinion. Databases which are not built from the bottom up to perform will perform badly once real users and real traffic are placed against the database. Premature optimization doesn't mean no optimization! It doesn't mean you should write code that will almost always perform badly because you find it easier (cursors for example which should never be allowed in a production database unless all else has failed). It means you don't need to look at squeezing out that last little bit of performance until you need to. A lot is known about what will perform better on databases, to ignore this in design and development is short-sighted at best.