Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 373 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
Disable ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY

Give this a try:

SET sql_mode = ''

---
Community Note: As pointed out in the answers below, this actually clears **all** the SQL modes currently enabled. That may not necessarily be what you want.

On MySQL 5.7 and Ubuntu 16.04, edit the file mysql.cnf.

$ sudo nano /etc/mysql/conf.d/mysql.cnf

Include the sql_mode like the following and save the file.

[mysql]
sql_mode=IGNORE_SPACE,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

Observe that, in my case, I removed the mode STRICT_TRANS_TABLES and the ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY.

Doing this, it will save the mode configuration permanently. Differently if you just update the @@sql_mode through MySQL, because it will reset on machine/service restart.

After that, to the modified configuration take in action, restart the mysql service:

$ sudo service mysql restart

Try to access the mysql:

$ mysql -u user_name -p

If you are able to login and access MySQL console, it is ok. Great!

**BUT**, if like me, you face the error **"unknown variable sql_mode"**, which indicates that **sql_mode** is an option for **mysqld**, you will have to go back, edit the file mysql.cnf again and change the `[mysql]` to `[mysqld]`. Restart the MySQL service and do a last test trying to login on MySQL console. Here it is!

You can disable it using the config file `my.cnf` :

$ mysql --verbose --help | grep my.cnf

So in macOS 10.12, it's at `usr/local/etc/my.cnf`. You can edit `sql_mode` here:

# Default Homebrew MySQL server config
[mysqld]
# Only allow connections from localhost
bind-address = 127.0.0.1
sql_mode = "STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION"

This is a permanent solution for MySql 5.7+ on Ubuntu 14+:

$ sudo bash -c "echo -e \"\nsql_mode=IGNORE_SPACE,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION\" >> /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf"
$ sudo service mysql restart
# Check if login attempt throws any errors
$ mysql -u[user] -p # replace [user] with your own user name

If you are able to login without errors - you should be all set now.

**Solution 1:**
Remove **ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY** from mysql console

mysql > SET GLOBAL sql_mode=(SELECT REPLACE(@@sql_mode,'ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY',''));

you can read more [here][1]

**Solution 2:** Remove **ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY** from phpmyadmin

- Open phpmyadmin & select localhost
- Click on menu Variables & scroll down for sql mode
- Click on edit button to change the values & remove **ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY** & click on save.
[![enter image description here][2]][2]

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

[2]:

**Update:**
-----------

[![enter image description here][1]][1]

To keep your current mysql settings and disable `ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY` I suggest to visit your phpmyadmin or whatever client you are using and type:

`SELECT REPLACE(@@sql_mode,'ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY','') copy_me`

next copy result to your `my.ini` file.

**mint**: `sudo nano /etc/mysql/my.cnf`

**ubuntu 16 and up**: `sudo nano /etc/mysql/my.cnf`

**ubuntu 14-16**: `/etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf`

Caution! `copy_me` result can contain a long text which might be trimmed by default. Make sure you copy whole text!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

___
**old answer:**

If you want to disable **permanently** error "*Expression #N of SELECT list is not in GROUP BY clause and contains nonaggregated column 'db.table.COL' which is not functionally dependent on columns in GROUP BY clause; this is incompatible with sql_mode=only_full_group_by*" do those steps:

1. `sudo nano /etc/mysql/my.cnf`
2. Add this to the end of the file

[mysqld]
sql_mode = "STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION"

3. `sudo service mysql restart` to restart MySQL

This will disable `ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY` for **ALL** users

[1]:

I have noticed that @Eyo Okon Eyo solution works as long as MySQL server is not restarted, then defaults settings are restored. Here is a permanent solution that worked for me:

To remove particular SQL mode (in this case **ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY**), find the current SQL mode:

SELECT @@GLOBAL.sql_mode;

copy the result and remove from it what you don't need (**ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY**)

e.g.:

ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY,STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION
to

STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

create and open this file:

/etc/mysql/conf.d/disable_strict_mode.cnf
and write and past into it your new SQL mode:

[mysqld]
sql_mode=STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION
restart MySQL:

sudo service mysql restart

Or you can use `ANY_VALUE()` to suppress ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY value rejection, you can [read more about it here][1]

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

If you are using MySQL 8.0.11 so, you need to remove the ’NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER‘ from sql-mode.

Add following line in file `/etc/mysql/my.cnf` and [mysqld] header

[mysqld]

sql_mode = STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

To whom is running a VPS/Server with **cPanel/WHM**, you can do the following to permanently disable ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY

**You need root access** (either on a VPS or a dedicated server)

1. Enter WHM as root and run phpMyAdmin

2. Click on Variables, look for `sql_mode`, click on 'Edit' and **copy the entire line** inside that textbox

e.g. copy this:

ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY,STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

3. Connect to you server via SFTP - SSH (root) and download the file `/etc/my.cnf`

4. Open with a text editor `my.cnf` file on your local PC and paste into it (under `[mysqld]` section) the entire line you copied at step (2) but remove `ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY,`

e.g. paste this:

# disabling ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY
sql_mode=STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

5. Save the `my.cnf` file and upload it back into `/etc/`

6. Enter WHM and go to "WHM > Restart Services > SQL Server (MySQL)" and restart the service

This is what I performed to fix on Mysql workbench:

Before I got the current value with the below command

SELECT @@sql_mode

later I removed the ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY key from the list and I pasted the below command

SET sql_mode = 'STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION'