Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 882 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Do you use source control for your database items?

I feel that my shop has a hole because we don't have a solid process in place for versioning our database schema changes. We do a lot of backups so we're more or less covered, but it's bad practice to rely on your last line of defense in this way.

Surprisingly, this seems to be a common thread. Many shops I have spoken to ignore this issue because their databases don't change often, and they basically just try to be meticulous.

However, I know how that story goes. It's only a matter of time before things line up just wrong and something goes missing.

Are there any best practices for this? What are some strategies that have worked for you?

The databases themselves? No

The scripts that create them, including static data inserts, stored procedures and the like; of course. They're text files, they are included in the project and are checked in and out like everything else.

Of course in an ideal world your database management tool would do this; but you just have to be disciplined about it.

I do by saving create/update scripts and a script that generates sampledata.

Yes ... our databases are designed in ERwin and the DDLs for each version are automatically generated. The ERwin files are kept in our source code control system (actually, so are our engineering documents).

We have a weekly sql dump into a subversion repo. It's fully automated but it's a REALLY beefy task.

You'll want to limit the number of revisions because it really chows disk space after a while!

Yes, we do it by keeping our SQL as part of our build -- we keep DROP.sql, CREATE.sql, USERS.sql, VALUES.sql and version control these, so we can revert back to any tagged version.

We also have ant tasks which can recreate the db whenever needed.

Plus, the SQL is then tagged along with your source code that goes with it.

YES, I think it is important to version your database. Not the data, but the schema for certain.

In Ruby On Rails, this is handled by the framework with "migrations". Any time you alter the db, you make a script that applies the changes and check it into source control.

My shop liked that idea so much that we added the functionality to our Java-based build [using shell scripts][1] and Ant. We integrated the process into our deployment routine. It would be fairly easy to write scripts to do the same thing in other frameworks that don't support DB versioning out-of-the-box.

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

I source control the database schema by scripting out all objects (table definitions, indexes, stored procedures, etc.). But, as for the data itself, simply rely on regular backups. This ensures that all structural changes are captured with proper revision history, but doesn't burden the database each time data changes.

The best practice I have seen is creating a build script to scrap and rebuild your database on a staging server. Each iteration was given a folder for database changes, all changes were scripted with "Drop... Create" 's . This way you can rollback to an earlier version at any time by pointing the build to folder you want to version to.

I believe this was done with NaNt/CruiseControl.

We use replication and clustering to manage our databases, as well as backups. We use Serena to manage our SQL scripts and configuration implementations. Before a configuration change is made, we perform a backup as part of the change management process. This backup satisfies our rollback requirement.

I think it all depends on scale. Are you talking about enterprise applications that need offsite backups and disaster recovery? A small workgroup running an accounting application? Or everywhere in between?