Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 384 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
Generating random numbers in Objective-C

I'm a Java head mainly, and I want a way to generate a pseudo-random number between 0 and 74. In Java I would use the method:

Random.nextInt(74)

I'm not interested in a discussion about seeds or true randomness, just how you accomplish the same task in Objective-C. I've scoured Google, and there just seems to be lots of different and conflicting bits of information.

According to the manual page for rand(3), the rand family of functions have been obsoleted by random(3). This is due to the fact that the lower 12 bits of rand() go through a cyclic pattern. To get a random number, just seed the generator by calling srandom() with an unsigned seed, and then call random(). So, the equivalent of the code above would be

#import <stdlib.h>
#import <time.h>

srandom(time(NULL));
random() % 74;

You'll only need to call srandom() once in your program unless you want to change your seed. Although you said you didn't want a discussion of truly random values, rand() is a pretty bad random number generator, and random() still suffers from modulo bias, as it will generate a number between 0 and RAND_MAX. So, e.g. if RAND_MAX is 3, and you want a random number between 0 and 2, you're twice as likely to get a 0 than a 1 or a 2.

I wrote my own random number utility class just so that I would have something that functioned a bit more like Math.random() in Java. It has just two functions, and it's all made in C.

Header file:

//Random.h
void initRandomSeed(long firstSeed);
float nextRandomFloat();

Implementation file:

//Random.m
static unsigned long seed;

void initRandomSeed(long firstSeed)
{
seed = firstSeed;
}

float nextRandomFloat()
{
return (((seed= 1664525*seed + 1013904223)>>16) / (float)0x10000);
}

It's a pretty classic way of generating pseudo-randoms. In my app delegate I call:

#import "Random.h"

- (void)applicationDidFinishLaunching:(UIApplication *)application
{
initRandomSeed( (long) [[NSDate date] timeIntervalSince1970] );
//Do other initialization junk.
}

Then later I just say:

float myRandomNumber = nextRandomFloat() * 74;

Note that this method returns a random number between 0.0f (inclusive) and 1.0f (exclusive).

This will give you a **floating point** number between 0 and 47

float low_bound = 0;
float high_bound = 47;
float rndValue = (((float)arc4random()/0x100000000)*(high_bound-low_bound)+low_bound);

Or just simply

float rndValue = (((float)arc4random()/0x100000000)*47);

Both lower and upper bound can be **negative** as well. The example code below gives you a random number between -35.76 and +12.09

float low_bound = -35.76;
float high_bound = 12.09;
float rndValue = (((float)arc4random()/0x100000000)*(high_bound-low_bound)+low_bound);

Convert result to a rounder **Integer** value:

int intRndValue = (int)(rndValue + 0.5);

Use the `arc4random_uniform(upper_bound)` function to generate a random number within a range. The following will generate a number between 0 and 73 inclusive.

arc4random_uniform(74)

`arc4random_uniform(upper_bound)` avoids [modulo bias](

[To see links please register here]

) as described in the man page:

> arc4random_uniform() will return a uniformly distributed random number less than upper_bound. arc4random_uniform() is recommended over constructions like ``arc4random() % upper_bound'' as it avoids "[modulo bias](

[To see links please register here]

; when the upper bound is not a power of two.

Better to use `arc4random_uniform`. However, this isn't available below iOS 4.3. Luckily iOS will bind this symbol at runtime, not at compile time (so don't use the #if preprocessor directive to check if it's available).

The best way to determine if `arc4random_uniform` is available is to do something like this:

#include <stdlib.h>

int r = 0;
if (arc4random_uniform != NULL)
r = arc4random_uniform (74);
else
r = (arc4random() % 74);

There are some great, articulate answers already, but the question asks for a random number between 0 and 74. Use:

`arc4random_uniform(75)`

Generate random number between 0 to 99:

int x = arc4random()%100;

Generate random number between 500 and 1000:

int x = (arc4random()%501) + 500;

//The following example is going to generate a number between 0 and 73.

int value;
value = (arc4random() % 74);
NSLog(@"random number: %i ", value);

//In order to generate 1 to 73, do the following:
int value1;
value1 = (arc4random() % 73) + 1;
NSLog(@"random number step 2: %i ", value1);

**Output:**

- random number: **72**

- random number step 2: **52**

I thought I could add a method I use in many projects.

- (NSInteger)randomValueBetween:(NSInteger)min and:(NSInteger)max {
return (NSInteger)(min + arc4random_uniform(max - min + 1));
}

If I end up using it in many files I usually declare a macro as

#define RAND_FROM_TO(min, max) (min + arc4random_uniform(max - min + 1))

E.g.

NSInteger myInteger = RAND_FROM_TO(0, 74) // 0, 1, 2,..., 73, 74

**Note: Only for iOS 4.3/OS X v10.7 (Lion) and later**