Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 181 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
How do I convert boolean values to integers?

I have a boolean value to check if it is true, then set a local variable. How do I refactor this so it is more Ruby-ish?

if firm.inflection_point
inflection_point = 1
else
inflection_point = 0
end

I just noticed a lot of people proposed to Monkey Patch the ruby classes and implement the `.to_i` method on them in order to solve this problem.

I need to gently inform that the act of **Monkey Patching** the `TrueClass` and `FalseClass` [can be dangerous to your system][1]

A good approach is to use the [Ruby Refinements][2] in order to make a much safer monkey patching. This approach restrict the changes on the *monkey patched* classes to the scope of your class.

* `lib/refinements/boolean_refinements.rb`
```rb
module BooleanRefinements
refine FalseClass do
def to_i
end
end

refine TrueClass do
def to_i
end
end
end
```

* `/your_class.rb`

```rb
require 'refinements/boolean_refinements'

class MyClass
using BooleanRefinements

# Here you can use true.to_i and false.to_i as you wish
end
```

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

[2]:

It is not pure ruby solution but, You can use `ActiveRecord::Type::Integer.new.cast(true)`

If you just have that at one point, then [rudolph9's answer](

) is good, but if you are having a similar kind of logic all over the place, then maybe it might make sense with general use in mind to monkey patch:

class FalseClass; def to_i; 0 end end
class TrueClass; def to_i; 1 end end

inflection_point = firm.inflection_point.to_i

Within Ruby, you should keep all of your logic dealing with truth values rather than `0` and `1`, but I guess you are dealing with some inputs or outputs from/to some external system that deals with `0` and `1`. Then, doing like this will make sense.

Here's another method:

```5 - bool.to_s.length
```

This takes advantage of the fact that `'true'` has four characters, while `'false'` has 5.

Another alternative is use of short-circuit operators:

inflection_point && 1 || 0

irb(main):001:0> true && 1 || 0
=> 1
irb(main):002:0> false && 1 || 0
=> 0

In Ruby, `if` is an expression. There's no need to assign to a variable inside the `then` and `else` branches, just return the value you want and assign the variable to the result of the `if expression`:

inflection_point = if firm.inflection_point
else
end

In simple cases like this, it's more readable to write the entire expression on a single line:

inflection_point = if firm.inflection_point then 1 else 0 end

You can also use the conditional operator, which I personally find to be much less readable:

inflection_point = firm.inflection_point ? 1 : 0

What you need is a conditional operation that is known as Ternary Operator
It's used in almost every language and it uses the symbols ? and :

inflection_point = firm.inflection_point ? 1 : 0

basically means, if the first condition evaluates to true (firm.inflection_point), return the value after "?" (1) otherwise, return the value after ":" (0)

inflection_point = (firm.inflection_point ? 1 : 0)