Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 560 Vote(s) - 3.55 Average
How to use prepare statements / bind values in a query in Joomla 3?

I'd like to know how to bind values in where clause. I have understood that is something that MUST be done for security reasons.

$db = JFactory::getDbo();
$query = $db->getQuery(true);
$query
->select("*")
->from($db->quoteName("food"))
->where("taste = :taste")
->bind(':taste', 'sweet');
$db->setQuery($query);
$rows = $db->loadAssocList();

I'm getting this error:

> You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that
> corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use
> near ':taste' at line 3 SQL=SELECT * FROM `food` WHERE taste = :taste

My code is based on [this post][1]. It said that in Joomla 3.1 only "*PDO/Sqlite and PDO/Oracle are supporting prepared statements*", I am using Joomla 3.2.1 and MySQL, and in my Joomla configuration MySQLi. Could be that the problem?

I am quite confused because I dont know what API / Class have to follow.

- [JDatabase for Joomla 3.x][2] **there is no bind method**, and the information is scant, seems like is not completed.
- [JDatabase for Joomla 2.5][3] has more information, but obviously is not my version. there is no bind method.
- [JDatabaseQuery for Joomla 3.x][4] there is no bind method
- [JDatabaseQuerySqlite for Joomla 3.x][5] **has** bind method
- [JDatabaseQueryPdo for Joomla 3.x][6] there is no bind method
- [JTable for Joomla 3.x][7] **has** bind method

Even I'm starting to doubt if I have to use JFactory::getDbo() to Select/Insert/Update/Delete data in Joomla DB.

Thanks in advance.

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

[2]:

[3]:

[4]:

[5]:

[6]:

[7]:

As far as I know, you **can't** use prepared statements nor bind values with Joomla.

If you read the Secure Coding Guideliness from the Joomla documentation (

), they don't talk about prepared statements, only about using casting or quoting to avoid SQL injection.

In Joomla there is normally the `check()`, `bind()`, `store()` triple from JTable that prevents injection.

`JDatabaseQueryPreparable` has a bind method that you may want to look at. You may also want to look at the docblocks for `JDatabaseQueryLimitable`.

One thing I would suggest is that when you get that error, usually it is really because you do have a problem in your query (often wrong quoting or something being empty that needs not to be empty. To see your generated query you an use

`echo $query->dump();`

and then try running it directly in sql.

Also in general it's wise to use `$db->quote()` and `$db->quoteName()` if you are using the API that way you won't run into quoting problems. I think you may have a quoting problem but it's hard to know without knowing your field names.

From Joomla4, binding data to named parameters is possible with the `bind()` method. This has been asked for for many years and finally it has come to the CMS.

- Early reference in Joomla Docs:

- Proper Joomla Documenation:

- Here's a good tutorial:

The syntax is precisely as prophecized in the snippet in the post

$taste = "sweet";

$db = JFactory::getDbo();
$query = $db->getQuery(true)
->select("*")
->from($db->quoteName("food"))
->where($db->quoteName("taste") . " = :taste")
->bind(":taste", $taste);
$db->setQuery($query);
$rows = $db->loadAssocList();