Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 823 Vote(s) - 3.46 Average
If I were to Install BackTrack 5

Quote:(04-15-2012, 04:13 PM)Anima Templi Wrote:

[To see links please register here]

Why install it on your computer, i would personally use another Linux distro for a personal computer like Ubuntu or Fedora. Why not just run Backtrack from a LiveCD or a flash drive. You would proberly use Backtrack to Pen-test or similar things, so why not just run it from a flash drive?

Well I'm getting sick of Windows Vista I'm having huge problems right now with the administration "Run as Admin" so programs are incorrect and are not running being lost and such.

I had the same problem as you. So I whiped my HDD and installed Windows 7 It works much better. I also Dual Booted my computer with backtrack 5. But whiped it off because I hated the grub loader order. (I know you can change this but I was to lazy).

Quote:(04-15-2012, 05:39 PM)T̢̘.̧O͔̥̟̘̥͎͇.̷͇͇͚͇͓̯͉P̺ Wrote:

Well I'm getting sick of Windows Vista I'm having huge problems right now with the administration "Run as Admin" so programs are incorrect and are not running being lost and such.

Well i understand, but why using backtrack, i know it has some cool programs pre-installed, but i will never use it as my main OS. If I should use a linux distro as my main OS i will choose Fedora or Ubuntu. Backtrack are not ment to be someones main OS, it is ment to be used as a pen testing tool. don't understand me wrong i use Backtrack myself but to pen testing. If you would stick to Windows use windows 7.

Good luck, Anima Templi

Quote:(04-15-2012, 09:38 PM)Anima Templi Wrote:

Quote: (04-15-2012, 05:39 PM)T̢̘.̧O͔̥̟̘̥͎͇.̷͇͇͚͇͓̯͉P̺ Wrote:

Well i understand, but why using backtrack, i know it has some cool programs pre-installed, but i will never use it as my main OS. If I should use a linux distro as my main OS i will choose Fedora or Ubuntu. Backtrack are not ment to be someones main OS, it is ment to be used as a pen testing tool. don't understand me wrong i use Backtrack myself but to pen testing. If you would stick to Windows use windows 7.

Good luck, Anima Templi :smile:

Well tbh, I've been using BacTrack 4 R2 as my main OS for a few months. But it was due to some problems while booting other operating systems. It is usable as a main distro, but you should create a new user that doesn't have super user privs. This is due to the fact, that you run everything as a super user under backtrack by default and this way its very easy to get infected.

upgrade to Win7 is better and then use on a virtual box use BT.. u can have access to all ur files from the virtual one!

Unless you need Backtrack constantly, I wouldn´t recommend using it as your main OS. I would rather choose for a more user-friendly OS that is made for functionality not for pen-testing. I would rather make a live-cd or put it on a usb so you have it whenever you need it. If you don't need to pen-test network connections you can also run it as a virtual machine.

Oh, and I would rather use Windows 7 over Windows Vista, but that's just my opinion.

Can I ask something... Can we "install" window in a pendrive? Thank

Quote:(04-25-2012, 06:21 PM)enanobp Wrote:

upgrade to Win7 is better and then use on a virtual box use BT.. u can have access to all ur files from the virtual one!

I second this, i suggest installing it to a virtual machine as well, this will allow you to pen test your network without having do buy a whole new computer. it really is the most convenient.

Backtrack is an excellent operating system for Pentesting and things of that nature.
However, I long ago decided to take it one step further.
Instead of having Backtrack take up needless space in a Virtual Machine or a USB, I installed every single package Backtrack offers by merely copying & modifying their Repositories for those packages to be workable on my LinuxMint install.
Granted, that's a lot of work (72 hours worth all said & done).
The advantage for me though is having the best of both worlds, and I quote.

What ever you do make sure that you have windows... Linux is great, but it cannot cover all your needs.

I was using Linux mint 13 for my main OS for about 2 months, which forced me to learn python and caused me to not play any games ( which wasn't that bad). But in opposite, linux gave me a lot of cool experience with pen-testing tools and other cool stuff.

Right now i am using windows 7 and ubuntu as dual boot.

Also if you are programmer or want to be one, i'd say that windows best feature is .NET framework & Visual Studio.
That's actually why i wanted to switch back to windows.