Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 231 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Invoke-WebRequest SSL fails?

When I try to use `Invoke-WebRequest` I'm getting some weird error:

Invoke-WebRequest -Uri "https://idp.safenames.com/"

Invoke-WebRequest : The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.

I'm not sure what's causing it, as the website itself seems fine.

Even with all the "ignore ssl errors" functions around stackoverflow, it's still not working, making me wonder if it's related to SSL at all.

Based on [this scan](

[To see links please register here]

), it doesn't look like that URI supports anything lower than TLS 1.1.

What version of Windows are you on? If you're on PowerShell v4.0 or lower, you're not going to be able to negotiate a TLS 1.1 or 1.2 connection because the .Net Framework doesn't support TLS 1.1 or 1.2 until .Net Framework 4.5. PowerShell v4.0 is .Net 4.0. That means the underlying System.Net.WebRequest classes can't negotiate a connection. I believe PowerShell v5.0 is .Net 4.5 or .Net 4.6, but I don't have a Win 10 client to check the `$PSVersionTable` right now.

You may be able to get it to work by coding the calls to WebRequest manually and specifying the protocol as `[System.Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls12` or `[System.Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls11`, but I'm not sure if that's possible. That's supposed to work if .Net 4.5 is installed from what I'm seeing, but, again, I've never tried it.

For reference, I get the exact same results as you on Windows 7 x64/Powershell v4.0 and I've got .Net 4.5 installed, but I've never tried manually coding the WebRequest. I also get an error if I use wget for Windows 1.11.4 from [here][1] (OpenSSL 0.9.8b, well before TLS 1.1 and 1.2), but it works just fine if I use wget for Windows 1.17.1 from [here][2] (current, more or less).

[1]:

[2]:

This can be permanently changed as well

# set strong cryptography on 32 bit .Net Framework (version 4 and above)
Set-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NetFramework\v4.0.30319' -Name 'SchUseStrongCrypto' -Value '1' -Type DWord
# set strong cryptography on 64 bit .Net Framework (version 4 and above)
Set-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NetFramework\v4.0.30319' -Name 'SchUseStrongCrypto' -Value '1' -Type DWord

As [BaconBits notes](

), .NET version > 4.5 uses SSLv3 and TLS 1.0 by default.

You can change this behavior by setting the [`SecurityProtocol`](

) policy with the `ServicePointManager` class:

PS C:\> $AllProtocols = [System.Net.SecurityProtocolType]'Ssl3,Tls,Tls11,Tls12'
PS C:\> [System.Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = $AllProtocols
PS C:\> (Invoke-WebRequest -Uri "https://idp.safenames.com/").StatusCode

This will apply to all requests in the AppDomain (so it only applies to the current instance of the host application).

----

There's [a module on GitHub](

) and in PSGallery that can manage these settings now:

Install-Module BetterTls -Scope CurrentUser
Import-Module BetterTls
Enable-Tls -Tls11 -Tls12

**One line:**

`[Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = [Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls12`