Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 276 Vote(s) - 3.49 Average
Is it possible to "decompile" a Windows .exe? Or at least view the Assembly?

A friend of mine downloaded some malware from Facebook, and I'm curious to see what it does without infecting myself. I know that you can't really decompile an .exe, but can I at least view it in Assembly or attach a debugger?

Edit to say it is not a .NET executable, no CLI header.

You may get some information viewing it in assembly, but I think the easiest thing to do is fire up a virtual machine and see what it does. Make sure you have no open shares or anything like that that it can jump through though ;)

Sure, have a look at [IDA Pro][1]. They offer an eval version so you can try it out.

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

Any decent debugger can do this. Try [OllyDbg][1]. (edit: which has a great disassembler that even decodes the parameters to WinAPI calls!)

[1]:

If you are just trying to figure out what a malware does, it might be much easier to run it under something like the free tool [Process Monitor][1] which will report whenever it tries to access the filesystem, registry, ports, etc...

Also, using a virtual machine like the free [VMWare server][2] is very helpful for this kind of work. You can make a "clean" image, and then just go back to that every time you run the malware.

[1]:

"Process Monitor"
[2]:

Good news. IDA Pro is actually free for its older versions now: