Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 577 Vote(s) - 3.58 Average
Operator of VirusTotal Like Malware-Scanning Service Jailed for 14 Years

here is the link to this news article.

[To see links please register here]

Here's the grounds on why the creator was convicted and sentenced.

Quote:According to the Justice Department press release, Scan4you customers used the service to steal millions of payment cards from retail stores across the world, including the United States, which led to some $20.5 billion in losses.

For instance, one Scan4you customer used the service to test malware that was subsequently used to steal approximately 40 million credit and debit card numbers, and other personal information from a US retail store, causing $292 million in losses.

Another customer used Scan4you to assist the development of "Citadel"—a widely used malware strain that infected over 11 million computers worldwide, including in the United States and resulted in over $500 million in fraud-related losses.

"Ruslans Bondars helped malware developers attack American businesses," said Assistant Attorney General Benczkowski.

I don't understand why he is getting arrested to be honest. Is it illegal to not share the information with AV companies? Absurt.

Quote:(09-23-2018, 03:54 AM)mothered Wrote:

Here's the grounds on why the creator was convicted and sentenced.

Quote:According to the Justice Department press release, Scan4you customers used the service to steal millions of payment cards from retail stores across the world, including the United States, which led to some $20.5 billion in losses.

For instance, one Scan4you customer used the service to test malware that was subsequently used to steal approximately 40 million credit and debit card numbers, and other personal information from a US retail store, causing $292 million in losses.

Another customer used Scan4you to assist the development of "Citadel"—a widely used malware strain that infected over 11 million computers worldwide, including in the United States and resulted in over $500 million in fraud-related losses.

"Ruslans Bondars helped malware developers attack American businesses," said Assistant Attorney General Benczkowski.

yes lost big money in damages.

In my view, the sentence (14 years) Is way too harsh.

Mass murderers have been given less.

Quote:(09-23-2018, 07:55 AM)mothered Wrote:

In my view, the sentence (14 years) Is way too harsh.

Mass murderers have been given less.

Mass murderers should get the death

i think the sentence is too harsh as well, but i hope that it can be reduced if they act nicely xD

Quote:(09-23-2018, 11:06 AM)oxnan Wrote:

i think the sentence is too harsh as well, but i hope that it can be reduced if they act nicely xD

They may well do so (reduce the sentence), but the question remains "to what degree?".

Shouldn't be illegal to scan malware and not share the information. I've heard of many services that offered this and am surprised at how harsh the sentence is. Just because he offered a service, doesn't mean he should be held responsible when people use it nefariously. That being said, it sounds like he committed other crimes.

Quote:Although US court never charged Bondars with direct involvement in any hacking, court documents show he used malware to rob online users and trick them into buying antivirus services they did not need.

Quote:(09-23-2018, 02:16 PM)Oni Wrote:

Shouldn't be illegal to scan malware and not share the information. I've heard of many services that offered this and am surprised at how harsh the sentence is. Just because he offered a service, doesn't mean he should be held responsible when people use it nefariously. That being said, it sounds like he committed other crimes.

Quote:Although US court never charged Bondars with direct involvement in any hacking, court documents show he used malware to rob online users and trick them into buying antivirus services they did not need.

I see your point. @Oni