Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 267 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Ruby metaprogramming online tutorial

I have just started to learn Ruby and got a good take on the basics. I keep hearing that one of the cool things that Ruby does very well is metaprogramming, but none of the tutorials I've read cover this. Searching Google I can only seem to find paid for ruby metaprogramming screen casts.

So, where can I find a good Ruby metaprogramming tutorial online?

This link explains various concepts(singleton,dynamic programming etc) of Ruby metaprogramming in a very systemetic manner.

[To see links please register here]

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Code School. Their "Ruby Bits Part 2" course follows material similar to the second half of the excellent book "Eloquent Ruby.", with a nice set of interactive tests to help drill the material into you.

Link:

Levels:

1. Blocks, Procs, & Lambdas
2. Dynamic Classes & Methods
3. Understanding Self
4. Missing Methods
5 & 6. DSLs

It does cost $20 a month for a subscription (for which you also get access to all of their other courses), but for me it was totally worth it.

You can take a look at

- it's the second free book on programming in Ruby that we've release on RubyMonk.com.

These 2 books should get you going...

"The Ruby Programming Language" by Matz and Flanagan.

"Metaprogramming Ruby: Program Like the Ruby Pros" by Paolo Perrota

The above article does refer to this but I'll post it for clarity:
[

][1]

[1]:

If you are prepared to outlay a little cash, then [The Pragmatic Programmers][1] website has an excellent screencast series on the Ruby Object Model and metaprogramming. It's not very expensive and is a very comprehensive series that goes over a lot of cool stuff and worth every cent.

I need to watch it again to try and get my head around some of the concepts, then I can be one of the cool meta crowd :)

[1]: