Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 786 Vote(s) - 3.58 Average
Select columns from result set of stored procedure

I have a stored procedure that returns 80 columns, and 300 rows. I want to write a select that gets 2 of those columns. Something like

SELECT col1, col2 FROM EXEC MyStoredProc 'param1', 'param2'

When I used the above syntax I get the error:

> "Invalid Column Name".

I know the easiest solution would be to change the stored procedure, but I didn't write it, and I can't change it.

Is there any way to do what I want?

- I could make a temp table to put the results in, but because there are 80 columns so I would need to make an 80 column temp table just to get 2 columns. I wanted to avoid tracking down all the columns that are returned.

- I tried using `WITH SprocResults AS ....` as suggested by Mark, but I got 2 errors <BR>
> Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'EXEC'.<BR>Incorrect syntax near ')'.

- I tried declaring a table variable and I got the following error <br>
>Insert Error: Column name or number of supplied values does not match table definition

- If I try <BR>
`SELECT * FROM EXEC MyStoredProc 'param1', 'param2'`<br>
I get the error :<br>
>Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'exec'.

Here's a link to a pretty good document explaining all the different ways to solve your problem (although a lot of them can't be used since you can't modify the existing stored procedure.)

[How to Share Data Between Stored Procedures][1]

Gulzar's answer will work (it is documented in the link above) but it's going to be a hassle to write (you'll need to specify all 80 column names in your @tablevar(col1,...) statement. And in the future if a column is added to the schema or the output is changed it will need to be updated in your code or it will error out.

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

(Assuming SQL Server)

The only way to work with the results of a stored procedure in T-SQL is to use the `INSERT INTO ... EXEC` syntax. That gives you the option of inserting into a temp table or a table variable and from there selecting the data you need.

try this

use mydatabase
create procedure sp_onetwothree as
select 1 as '1', 2 as '2', 3 as '3'
go
SELECT a.[1], a.[2]
FROM OPENROWSET('SQLOLEDB','myserver';'sa';'mysapass',
'exec mydatabase.dbo.sp_onetwothree') AS a
GO

This works for me: (i.e. I only need 2 columns of the 30+ returned by `sp_help_job`)

SELECT name, current_execution_status
FROM OPENQUERY (MYSERVER,
'EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_help_job @job_name = ''My Job'', @job_aspect = ''JOB''');

Before this would work, I needed to run this:

sp_serveroption 'MYSERVER', 'DATA ACCESS', TRUE;

....to update the `sys.servers` table. (i.e. Using a self-reference within OPENQUERY seems to be disabled by default.)

For my simple requirement, I ran into none of the problems described in the [OPENQUERY section][1] of Lance's excellent link.

Rossini, if you need to dynamically set those input parameters, then use of OPENQUERY becomes a little more fiddly:

DECLARE @innerSql varchar(1000);
DECLARE @outerSql varchar(1000);

-- Set up the original stored proc definition.
SET @innerSql =
'EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_help_job @job_name = '''+@param1+''', @job_aspect = N'''+@param2+'''' ;

-- Handle quotes.
SET @innerSql = REPLACE(@innerSql, '''', '''''');

-- Set up the OPENQUERY definition.
SET @outerSql =
'SELECT name, current_execution_status
FROM OPENQUERY (MYSERVER, ''' + @innerSql + ''');';

-- Execute.
EXEC (@outerSql);

I'm not sure of the differences (if any) between using `sp_serveroption` to update the existing `sys.servers` self-reference directly, vs. using `sp_addlinkedserver` (as described in Lance's link) to create a duplicate/alias.

Note 1:
I prefer OPENQUERY over OPENROWSET, given that OPENQUERY does not require the connection-string definition within the proc.

Note 2:
Having said all this: normally I would just use INSERT ... EXEC :) Yes, it's 10 mins extra typing, but if I can help it, I prefer not to jigger around with:
(a) quotes within quotes within quotes, and
(b) sys tables, and/or sneaky self-referencing Linked Server setups (i.e. for these, I need to plead my case to our all-powerful DBAs :)

However in this instance, I couldn't use a INSERT ... EXEC construct, as `sp_help_job` is already using one. ("An INSERT EXEC statement cannot be nested.")

[1]:

CREATE TABLE #Result
(
ID int, Name varchar(500), Revenue money
)
INSERT #Result EXEC RevenueByAdvertiser '1/1/10', '2/1/10'
SELECT * FROM #Result ORDER BY Name
DROP TABLE #Result

Source:<br />

A quick hack would be to add a new parameter `'@Column_Name'` and have the calling function define the column name to be retrieved. In the return part of your sproc, you would have if/else statements and return only the specified column, or if empty - return all.

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[MySproc]
@Column_Name AS VARCHAR(50)
AS
BEGIN
IF (@Column_Name = 'ColumnName1')
BEGIN
SELECT @ColumnItem1 as 'ColumnName1'
END
ELSE
BEGIN
SELECT @ColumnItem1 as 'ColumnName1', @ColumnItem2 as 'ColumnName2', @ColumnItem3 as 'ColumnName3'
END
END

If you're doing this for manual validation of the data, you can do this with LINQPad.

Create a connection to the database in LinqPad then create C# statements similar to the following:

DataTable table = MyStoredProc (param1, param2).Tables[0];
(from row in table.AsEnumerable()
select new
{
Col1 = row.Field<string>("col1"),
Col2 = row.Field<string>("col2"),
}).Dump();

Reference

Easiest way to do if you only need to this once:

Export to excel in Import and Export wizard and then import this excel into a table.

I'd cut and paste the original SP and delete all columns except the 2 you want. Or. I'd bring the result set back, map it to a proper business object, then LINQ out the two columns.