Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 484 Vote(s) - 3.68 Average
Setting up local development environment for Umbraco

I have inherited an Umbraco CMS project, the Umbraco instance and custom user controls exist on our test server as the initial build has been demo-ed to the client already. I now need to take this on, the initial build was done by a freelance dev before my time here and no documentation exists on set up, deployment, etc.

The custom usercontrols were under source control and build ok, after a bit of bug fixing. I have followed the following to try and get an instance of the Umbraco install and custom controls working on my machine for developing against.

[To see links please register here]

I am pointing the Umbraco web config at the database with the relevant content in and can access the back end of the CMS, however when i go to the Default.aspx i just get a blank page. I have set VS2010 up to throw CLR exceptions and started the solution in debug mode to see if an error is being thrown and nothing.

Can anyone either suggest things to try and get it running properly or point me to some resources tha might help?

Thanks

Chris

If you have [IIS Express][1] installed, what I have found easiest is to:

1. Copy the filesystem of the site from the server to a folder in the Inetpub of your local machine.
2. Create a site in IIS and point to those files.
3. In Visual Studio, click File, Open, Website, and then choose the site.

If you have the [MVC Framework][2] installed, syntax highlighting will work for razor (.cshtml) scripts.

One step further would be to make a copy of the database and point the connection string to that copy. The copy could be restored to another database server, or if you have [SQL Server Express][3] installed, you can run the copy locally as well.

[1]:

[2]:

[3]: