Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 245 Vote(s) - 3.51 Average
_addcarry_u64 and _addcarryx_u64 with MSVC and ICC

MSVC and ICC both support the intrinsics `_addcarry_u64` and `_addcarryx_u64`.

According to [Intel's Intrinsic Guide](

[To see links please register here]

) and [white paper](

) these should map to `adcx` and `adox` respectively. However, by looking at the generated assembly it's clear they map to `adc` and `adcx` respectively and there is no intrinsic which maps to `adox`.

<s>Additionally, telling the compiler to enable AVX2 with `/arch:AVX2` in [MSVC](

) or `-march=core-avx2` with ICC on Linux makes no difference.</s>
I'm not sure how to enable ADX with MSVC and ICC.

The [documentation for MSVC](

) lists `_addcarryx_u64` with the technology of ADX whereas `_addcarry_u64` has no listed technology. However, the link in MSVC's documentation for these intrinsics goes directly to the Intel Intrinsic guide which contradicts MSVC's own documentation and the generated assembly.

From this I conclude that Intel's Intrinsic guide and white paper are wrong.

This makes some sense for MSVC sense it does not allow inline assembly it should provide a way to use `adc` which it does with `_addcarry_u64`.

One of the big advantages of `adcx` and `adox` is that they operate on different flags (carry `CF` and overflow `OF`) and this allows two independent parallel carry chains. However, since there is no intrinsic for `adox` how is this possible? With ICC at least one can use inline assembly but this is not possible with MSVC in 64-bit mode.

----------

Microsoft and Intel's documentation (both the white paper and the intrinsic guide online) both agree now.

The `_addcarry_u64` intrinsic documentation says produces only `adc`. The `_addcarryx_u64` intrinsic can produce either `adcx` or `adox`. With MSVC 2013 and 2015, however, `_addcarryx_u64` only produces `adcx`. ICC produces both.

They map to `adc`, `adcx` AND `adox`. The compiler decides which instructions to use, based on how you use them. If you perform two big-int additions in parallel the compiler will use `adcx` and `adox`, for higher throughput. For example:

unsigned char c1 = 0, c2 = 0
for(i=0; i< 100; i++){
c1 = _addcarry_u64(c1, res[i], a[i], &res[i]);
c2 = _addcarry_u64(c2, res[i], b[i], &res[i]);
}

Related, GCC does not support ADOX and ADCX at the moment. "At the moment" includes GCC 6.4 (Fedora 25) and GCC 7.1 (Fedora 26). GCC effectively disabled the intrinsics, but it still advertises support by defining `__ADX__` in the preprocessor. Also see [Issue 67317, Silly code generation for _addcarry_u32/_addcarry_u64](

). Many thanks to Xi Ruoyao for finding the issue.

According to Uros Bizjak on the GCC Help mailing list, GCC may [never support the intrinsics](

). Also see [GCC does not generate ADCX or ADOX for _addcarryx_u64](

).

Clang has its own set of issues with respect to ADOX and ADCX. Clang 3.9 and 4.0 crash when attempting to use them. Also see [Issue 34249, Panic when using _addcarryx_u64 with Clang 3.9](

). According to Craig Topper, it should be fixed in Clang 5.0.

My apologies for posting the information under a MSVC question. This is one of the few hits when searching for information about using the intrinsics.