Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 584 Vote(s) - 3.52 Average
how badly can c crash?

I have often heard that C can crash spectacularly. Recently I got my first taste of this when a function I expected to return a string instead returned little happy faces. Since then I have been being more careful with initializing pointers and mallocing memory for arrays. Still, though, I have trouble believing that a program could crash THAT badly...

I guess it would depend on the scope of the program though? I mean, if a bug in a program that dealt with your fan copied happy faces into some important space in memory...?

My question is, how much myth is there in the world of spectacular C crashes? Can I get some concrete examples of dangerous things that one ought to avoid?

z.

I think it was probably worse way back in the pre-virtual memory days when you could trash other processes memory, but nowadays the worst that can happen is really just crashing your own program. Usually via segmentation faults from bad pointers.

That excludes of course blowing things up by misusing system resources - you can do that in any language.

Well, if you're writing kernel code, sometimes you can overwrite system critical bits of memory, such as interrupt vectors, global descriptor tables, process tables, causing all sorts of fun stuff!

![alt text][1]

-

[To see links please register here]

-

-

[1]:

If your code is running on a remotely modern OS, you can't copy happy faces into random points in memory. You can crash as much as you want, and it will just result in the termination of your process.

The closest you can come to actually messing up your system is abusing processor/memory/disk resources, or spawning so many subprocesses that the OS runs out of PIDs (if it's still using a 32-bit value to store those).

C itself can't crash anything. Sloppy programming can crash everything.

The "happy faces" are an indication that your code corrupted memory. The only thing C had to do with that is the fact that you chose to use it. (And the fact your OS allowed it to happen is surprising - are you still running a version of DOS?)

Back when I was learning to program C++, it was on a Mac running system 7 or 8 I don't remember which. Anyway, it had no protected virtual memory so a lot of mistakes like leaving a dangling pointer or a buffer overrun would cause the whole computer to crash. I recall that when Apple first announced they were going to create a new OS which had protected memory space at Macworld or something, they showed the source code for a program:

while (true)
*(int *)i++ = 1;

And when they ran the program and just the program terminated, and not the whole machine (it had a message like "You do not need to restart your computer") the whole room full of developers apparantly burst into applause. Anyway, obviously not having protected memory really made programming C or C++ really tough because of the increased severity of the crash.

Nowadays it is not such a big deal unless you are programming something that runs at supervisor level, you do not have the ability to crash the OS.

Nowadays is kind of hard making C crash **that** hard (unless you are coding an OS Kernel or something like that).

Back in the DOS/Win95/Win98 days, you could make a C program chash **really, really** badly. I used to get this a lot:

Whenever I had a dangerous pointer operation which messed with the memory, I got a character based screen full of all sorts of characters, in different colors, some of them, blinking!!! I guess the operations messed someway with Video Memory.

But today, since processes run within **safe** kernels, the worst you'll get if your process going away.

There was a computer, the Commodore PET 4032 (aka the "Fat 40") where it was actually possible to permanently burn out the video chip if you poked the wrong value into the wrong part of memory. You can imagine that if there had been a C compiler on that machine, a wild pointer could actually do irreparable physical damage to the computer.

Here is a quick snippet from Henry Spencer's "Ten Commandments for C Programmers":

- Commandment #2 - Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee at its end.
- Clearly the holy scriptures were mis-transcribed here, as the words should have been ``null pointer'', to minimize confusion between the concept of null pointers and the macro NULL (of which more anon). Otherwise, the meaning is plain. A null pointer points to regions filled with dragons, demons, core dumps, and numberless other foul creatures, all of which delight in frolicing in thy program if thou disturb their sleep. A null pointer doth not point to a 0 of any type, despite some blasphemous old code which impiously assumes this.

For those who are not familiar with C, I think the best written concise introduction to C is done by "[The Ten Commandments for C Programmers (Annotated Edition)][1]" by Henry Spencer. The way it is written really gets across to the reader the dangers of C ... while at the same time being funny ( which means the reader will actually pay attention more ).

=========================

Personally... **C doesn't crash that badly when you are doing desktop development** because you have the luxury of seg-faulting. Seg-faults are when the OS sees you trying to REALLY F' things up and it says "hey! you aren't allowed there" and stops the process.

**When you are doing embedded C development... that is when you get the REALLY spectacular crazy stuff... i.e. they REQUIRE you to power-cycle 99.9% of the time.** Like this one time where the code somehow messes up my call stack... and then you are executing some random other function... and then the ISR somehow is still going... and it takes 2 weeks to fix that kind o bug.

[1]: