Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 393 Vote(s) - 3.47 Average
minLength data validation is not working with Auth component for CakePHP

Let's say I have a user registration and I'm using the Auth component (/user/register is allowed of course).

The problem is if I need to set a minLength validation rule in the model, it doesn't work since the Auth component hashes the password therefore it's always more than my minlength password and it passes even if it's blank.

How do I fix this issue? Thanks in advance!

Essentially, you have to rename the password field (for example, to "pw") to prevent the Auth component from hashing it automatically. Then, if the password passes the validation rules, hash it and save the hash under the `password` key. This is usually done in the `beforeFilter()` callback as [this article][1] describes.

It is also possible to validate the data and hash the password in the controller. This practice is generally discouraged, but it might be a little easier to wrap your head around if you're just starting out with CakePHP.

// this code would go after: if (!empty($this->data)
// and before: $this->User->save($this->data)

// validate the data
$this->User->set($this->data);
if ($this->User->validates()) {

// hash the password
$password_hash = $this->Auth->password($this->data['User']['pw'];
$this->data['User']['password'] = $password_hash;
}

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

hmm.. here's what I consider best practice: Left the password field as is. Include a second password field 'pw2' so the user can re-type the password. Advantages:

- prevent user typo
- Auth won't hash pw2. In the model, you can write a custom validation method for password (because you need to check if the 2 passwords are the same too)

> var $validate = array(
'password' => array(
'rule' => array('checkPwd')
)
);
function checkPwd($check) {
if(!isset($this->data[$this->alias]['password']) ||
!isset($this->data[$this->alias]['pw2']))
return 'Where are the passwords?';
if($this->data[$this->alias]['password'] !==
Security::hash($this->data[$this->alias]['pw2'],null,true))
return 'Passwords are not the same';
if(strlen($this->data[$this->alias]['pw2']))<10)
return 'Password not long enough';
return true;
}

One little thing, in the form view, set the 'value'=>'' for both passwords fields.