0Day Forums
Windows batch script to recursively extract specific files using 7zip - Printable Version

+- 0Day Forums (https://0day.red)
+-- Forum: Coding (https://0day.red/Forum-Coding)
+--- Forum: .bat & .wsf & .cmd (https://0day.red/Forum-bat-wsf-cmd)
+--- Thread: Windows batch script to recursively extract specific files using 7zip (/Thread-Windows-batch-script-to-recursively-extract-specific-files-using-7zip)

Windows batch script to recursively extract specific files using 7zip - nieliajcnelo - 07-23-2023

I have a Directory with multiple `.tar` files which have multiple `.zip` files. The tree structure is somewhat of this sort:

testDirectory
-tarArchive.tar
-directory1
-zipArchive11.zip
abc.XML
1.TIF
2.TIF
-zipArchive12.zip
xyz.XML
a.TIF
b.CDX
-directory2
-zipArchive21.zip
-zipArchive22.zip

I need a single batch script to recursively extract only `.XML` from each `.zip` while maintaining the tree structure(first all `.zip` will be extracted from main `.tar` and then only `.XML` from each `.zip`). Additionally, the processed archives should be deleted afterwards.

I am able to achieve most of it with this code

for /R "C:\Users\frozenfyr\Desktop\test" %%I in ("*.zip", "*.tar") do (
"C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" x -y -o"%%~dpI" "%%~fI" && del "%%~fI"
)

except 2 things:

1. I'm unable to extract `.XML` files only.

`"C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" x -y -o"%%~dpI" "%%~fI"`**` "*.zip" -r`** will
not extract XML files and
`"C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" x -y -o"%%~dpI" "%%~fI"`**` "*.XML" -r`**
doesn't(shouldn't) work because nothing will match in `.tar` file.
Is there a way to do something like
`"C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" x -y -o"%%~dpI" "%%~fI"`**` "*.zip" "*.XML" -r`**

2. The main `.tar` file is not deleted after processing. I tried this
script on `.zip` files and it works(they are deleted after
processing).

I already tried a [powershell script][1] but I'm not very satisfied with it. I feel batch script is easy for me to handle. I even found a [post on SU][2] but it doesn't speak of multiple specific formats/files. I read [Command Line Version User's Guide][3] and considered [`-x` switch][4] but it's not useful.

I can't quote all the references here but I did go through a lot of SO and SU posts and Google was probably not my friend this time. I'm not sure whether SO or SU should be the place to ask this question, I found good references on both communities. I use SO more often so I'm here.

Please help me, this is driving me crazy..

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

[2]:

[3]:

[4]:

RE: Windows batch script to recursively extract specific files using 7zip - irons288 - 07-23-2023

I have been able to solve my 1st problem. The second one looks like a little complicated. The `del` command works on archives of smaller size. Because my `.tar` is huge(>1GB), I think the next loop starts to execute before the command could delete the archive. It would be good for me if not anyone else to have an answer here as a guide for future.

Anyway, for the first problem, I found out that I will need to do recursive with switch `-x` i.e., `-xr` and because I had multiple extensions that I wanted to skip, I had to create `ignore.txt` and add all the exceptions there. My complete script looked like this:

for /R "C:\Users\frozenfyr\Desktop\test" %%I in ("*.zip", "*.tar") do (
"C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" x -y -xr@"C:\Users\frozenfyr\Desktop\ignore.txt" -o"%%~dpI" "%%~fI" && del "%%~fI"
)

If i had just one extension that I wanted to ignore, I'd do `-xr!"*.extension"` instead of `-xr@"C:\Users\frozenfyr\Desktop\ignore.txt"`

By the way, `-xr` does not stop 7zip from processing the excluded files, it probably deletes them after extracting because I saw `extracting abc.TIF` on command prompt.

RE: Windows batch script to recursively extract specific files using 7zip - polloi608128 - 07-23-2023

In order to read a zipfile recursively, I am using "Swiss File Knife". In case you have the possibility to install other software on your system, this might be an idea?

RE: Windows batch script to recursively extract specific files using 7zip - turnstones618051 - 07-23-2023

7z e -an -air!*.rar -r -oF:\target

extracts all tar files from the current directory's sub folders (recursively) into the target folder F:\target.